Technical Training Manager
Taunton, MA (Bos/Pvd)
Join a company and be a key part of the Engineering and Technical Services Team that provides the highest levels of customer service in the industry. As the Technical Training Manager, you will be the owner for all Technical Training that the company deploys to the Technical/Field Service Team Members and to our Customers as well. We are looking for someone with high energy that has a passion for leading and teaching others. We want someone who is hungry for career advancement and helping bring our organization to a new level.
Harpak-ULMA is located in Taunton Massachusetts, equidistant from both Boston and Providence. This position has primary responsibility for all internal and external Training. As training programs are developed and ready for deployment, trainers will be added under your leadership. This is a revenue generating role and resources can be justified as we strengthen the programs. Ability and willingness to travel up to 10-20% of the time is required.
Harpak-ULMA just recently celebrated 25 years in business and continues to grow significantly in numerous industries. We are committed to be the Packaging Equipment Technology leader and are looking for highly motivated individuals to be a part of our team.
This position will require travel up to 10-20% of the time for customer visits, program sales, and site training with our colleagues in Europe (Spain & Italy).
A generous compensation package will be provided based on previous experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Develop and lead the training program for internal technical resources. This will be accomplished by developing, editing, managing content, assignments, and monitoring in an LMS (Learning Management System) and also via one-on-one and classroom training.
- Develop on-boarding and administrative tools to track progress including safety training; machine-specific training covering electrical and mechanical aspects in operation and maintenance; machine sanitation; as well as skills in reading blueprints, schematics, proper hand tool usage, and testing equipment.
- Confer with product managers and senior management to determine training objectives on an ongoing basis.
- Analyze and assess organizational technical capabilities (all staff) and effectiveness of existing programs for training new hires.
- Create training program and instruction materials including course outlines, background materials, instructional materials, hand-outs and tests as well as design hands-on exercises applying knowledge of electronics, mechanics, pneumatics, programming and reading of schematics, manuals and blueprints.
- Assist in designing and implementing an IT-based and multi-media curriculum, which can be deployed in person or via the Internet.
- Schedule classes based on availability and needs.
- Conduct training classes and administer written and practical tests to evaluate trainees’ performance for general on-boarding and in the disciplines of installation, programming, safety, maintenance, repair and sanitation of industrial packaging, related automation equipment, etc.
- Continuously enhance technical instructional delivery and presentation skills through participation in outside meetings, seminars and training sessions.
- Establish and maintain a safe and healthy training environment by following organization standards and legal regulations.
- Generate technical support documentation for manuals to support training efforts and manage proper versioning of instruction manual upgrades and additions for both hardware and software on installed base of equipment.
- Mentor other internal instructors in subject matter, content, and course delivery techniques.
- Manage the training program in accordance with business needs, regulatory requirements and solicited participant feedback.
- Stay abreast of all technical developments and improvements from the European supplier factories.
- Work with marketing to develop a customer outreach program to promote the training offerings.
- Record, document, and file all activities for later reference or repetition.
- Attend occasional trade shows to support sales team as well as stay informed of customer expectations and market developments.
- Occasionally provide technical expertise and troubleshooting assistance for Technical Services Department to resolve customer issues and opportunities.
- Maintain confidentiality of critical or competitive information.
- Be receptive to on-going coaching and training to further develop professional skill set.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelors or Associate’s Degree from an accredited educational institution in a technical or business area of study. Military Technical Training Leaders will also be strongly considered. 5 to 10 years related technical experience; Mechanical and electrical aptitudes along with food industry experience and previous training experience is a plus.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as legal documents, technical descriptions and specifications, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present technical information to groups of customers or associates of organization. Spanish and/or Italian speaking and writing is a plus.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as pricing structures, package geometry, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Word Processing software (Word, Adobe Publisher); Spreadsheet software, Internet software, Database software, and familiarization with LMS software. Must be proficient in the use of the MS Office Suite and Windows platform. Working knowledge of SolidWorks or AutoCAD is also required.
Certificates and Licenses:
Current valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain a passport for travel as required by position.
This position will have evolving supervisory responsibilities as content and programs are developed. Likely responsible for 2 or more employees within 1-2 years.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job at a customer’s site, the associate is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; cold (non-weather) and heat (non-weather). The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the associate is regularly required to sit, talk, listen and speak in a professional manner.. The associate is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The associate is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Harpak-ULMA Behavior Standard:
Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a respectful manner so that associates get along with customers, clients, co-workers and management.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their resume to:
Harpak-ULMA is an equal employment opportunity employer.