Location: Taunton, MA
Summary: This position will further develop and lead the training program for internal technical resources. This will be accomplished by developing, editing, managing content, assignments, and monitoring in an LMS (Learning Management System) and also via one-on-one and classroom training. This training will include, but not limited to: general on-boarding; safety training; machine-specific training covering electrical and mechanical aspects in operation and maintenance; machine sanitation; as well as skills in reading blueprints, schematics, proper hand tool usage, and testing equipment. In-house and on-site customer training is also required covering specific machine and application-specific topics.
Additional duties will include but are not limited to safety management within the company and contractor management with our customers. Items internal, for example, are ensuring the proper people are trained in CPR/AED, fire safety, fork truck training, and overall general safety training. The contractor management portion entails review and assist with submittals of Certificates of Insurance, contractor work rules signoffs and compliance, employee testing, and other items critical for us to perform work on our customer’s sites. Averaging 10% of the job.
Time Utilization: This position may travel up to 20% of the time – mostly for technical training in the field, visits to the supplier factories in Europe and occasional trade shows. Normal business hours are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Overtime required as needed to accomplish critical deadlines.
Compensation: Commensurate with previous experience and proven results from a similar position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Confer with product managers and senior management to determine training objectives on an ongoing basis.
- Create training program and instruction materials including course outlines, background materials, instructional materials, hand-outs and tests as well as design hands-on exercises applying knowledge of electronics, mechanics, pneumatics, programming and reading of schematics, manuals and blueprints.
- Assist in designing and implementing an IT-based and multi-media curriculum, which can be deployed in person or via the Internet.
- Schedule classes based on availability and needs.
- Conduct training classes and administer written and practical tests to evaluate trainees’ performance for general on-boarding and in the disciplines of installation, programming, safety, maintenance, repair and sanitation of industrial packaging, related automation equipment, etc.
- Continuously enhance technical instructional delivery and presentation skills through participation in outside meetings, seminars and training sessions.
- Establish and maintain a safe and healthy training environment by following organization standards and legal regulations.
- Generate technical support documentation for manuals to support training efforts, and manage proper versioning of instruction manual upgrades and additions for both hardware and software on installed base of equipment.
- Mentor other internal instructors in subject matter, content, and course delivery techniques.
- Manage the training program in accordance with business needs, regulatory requirements and solicited participant feedback.
- Stay abreast of all technical developments and improvements from the European supplier factories.
- Work with marketing to develop a customer outreach program to promote the training offerings.
- Record, document, and file all activities for later reference or repetition.
- Attend occasional trade shows to support sales team as well as stay informed of customer expectations and market developments.
- Occasionally provide technical expertise and troubleshooting assistance for Technical Services Department to resolve customer issues and opportunities.
- Maintain confidentiality of critical or competitive information.
- Be receptive to on-going coaching and training to further develop professional skill set.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Associate’s or bachelor’s degree from an accredited educational institution in a business or technical area of study; and five to ten years related technical or support experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred. Mechanical and electrical aptitudes along with food industry experience and previous training experience is a plus.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as legal documents, technical descriptions and specifications, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present technical information to groups of customers or associates of organization. Spanish and/or Italian speaking and writing is a plus.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as pricing structures, package geometry, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Word Processing software (Word, Adobe Publisher); Spreadsheet software, Internet software, Database software, and familiarization with LMS software. Must be proficient in the use of the MS Office Suite and Windows platform. Working knowledge of SolidWorks or AutoCAD is also required.
Certificates and Licenses:
Current valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain a passport for travel as required by position.
This position currently has no supervisory responsibilities; however, the position requires managing training content deliverable from others.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job at a customer’s site, the associate is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; cold (non-weather) and heat (non-weather). The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the associate is regularly required to sit, talk, listen and speak in a professional manner.. The associate is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The associate is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Harpak-ULMA Behavior Standard:
Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a respectful manner so that associates get along with customers, clients, co-workers and management.
Interested and qualified applicants should send a resume and salary expectations to:
Harpak-ULMA Packaging, LLC
175 John Quincy Adams Road
Taunton, MA 02780