Title: PLC Programmer/Controls Manager
Location: Taunton, MA
Summary: The associate will supervise a team of PLC Programmers in Taunton along with remote personnel and lead the commercialization of the offerings along with the sales and marketing team. The position requires technical excellence in controls and automation while being commercially savvy to promote and drive the offering capabilities of the group. This means that they are versed on the latest controls products and offerings from the primary suppliers in the industry. Additionally, it means that this person can drive and promote the technologies to the benefit of our customers and the company alike.
This is a working manager role and will be responsible for setting the direction for the group, introducing innovative technology, promoting the technology offerings as well as, programming automation and controls systems involving PLC’s, HMI’s, servo drives and network systems. Proven experience in PLC logic to assist field service technicians in programming & configuration of Allen-Bradley, SLC, Control Logix, Compact Logix and Micro Logix. Travel to customer sites will be required to support sales and technicians alike. This job requires that the applicant live in the posted State.
Time Utilization: This position will require travel up to 25% of the time for technical and sales support. Schedule needs to be flexible to accommodate customer’s needs.
Compensation: Commensurate with previous experience
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Associate will introduce and support new technology offerings within the group and own the commercialization of the offering with support of the sales and marketing groups.
- The associate must demonstrate a high technical aptitude and “salesmanship” ability to drive the commercialization of the group’s offering. The associate must have the ability to “convey and convince” the value of the offerings.
- Associate will coordinate activities of the PLC Controls team while providing support, guidance and training. Monitor progress of activities, keep team on track, and additionally be responsible for establishing goals and performance reviews for the team.
- Provide up-to-date summary of client issues with a timeline for resolution as well as opportunities with a plan to promote a solution.
- Associate will maintain and modify programs for various high-speed packaging equipment. Update electrical schematics using AutoCAD and adobe PDF. Follow hardware/software updates and changes, and make sure technicians have all necessary software, cables and basic knowledge to communicate with equipment. Provide up-to-date documentation of control systems to enable future modifications by Field Service Technicians.
- Associate will work with field service technicians via the telephone and computer remote access to trouble-shoot mechanical/electrical issues with various packaging equipment machines [e.g., tray sealers, fillers, dosers, form/fill/seal equipment, case erecting, automatic loading, sleeving, cartoning, closing, flow wrap, shrink wrap, vertical and horizontal thermoforming.] As needed, on-site hands-on customer assistance will be required.
- Associate will utilize his/her expertise with Allen Bradley, ProFace, Lenze, Compact Logix, Ethernet, Devicenet, and PLC Programming to solve mechanical/electrical issues with customer machinery. Work may be completed through a Field Service Technician via instructions over the telephone or in-person on-site at customer locations. Metrics of retention and ability will be evaluated in our onboarding process.
- Associate must have excellent communication and technical writing skills. They must also be highly adept in working with others to resolve issues quickly. He/she must be a self-starter and comfortable working with people in trouble-shooting and problem-solving situations.
- Must provide excellent customer service skills. Must be team oriented, have a “Can Do” approach to all challenges and possess a strong commitment to quality and technology advancements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. AutoCAD a plus.
Associate must be capable of Allen Bradley PLC programming and troubleshooting. B&R and Lenze programming experience a plus. Experience with Compact Logic, Micro Logic, SLC500 and RS View. AutoCAD is a plus for reading and editing electrical prints. Strong Electrical and mechanical knowledge is required in troubleshooting problems. Must be able to learn and research new software/ hardware for implementation.
High school diploma or GED required. A Bachelor’s degree preferred. A minimum of 5 years’ experience in field service or equipment maintenance in a related industry is preferred. Prior Supervisory experience managing a team is required.
Excellent interpersonal skills required to effectively work with Company and Client personnel. Ability to read and interpret documents including mechanical blueprints and electrical schematics.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as package geometry, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to assess and define problems, interpret instruction and act accordingly.
Computer Skills: Ability to assess and define problems, interpret instruction and act accordingly.
Certificates and Licenses: Current valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain a passport for travel.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position will have direct reports which are office based as well as those which are field based.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate will encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a combination of shop/warehouse environments. Exposure to fluctuating hot and cold temperatures. Exposure to warehouse elements such as noise, dust, odors, fumes, oils.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The ability to lift and/or move up to 70 lbs. Ability to sit for extended durations when traveling by car or airplane. Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, stoop, squat and move about a facility. Keen hearing and sight ability (close and distance vision) for detecting any abnormalities with the machines. Proper use of safety devices as required for the safe operation of all machinery, tools and equipment.
Harpak-ULMA Behavior Standard:
Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a respectful manner so that associates get along with customers, clients, co-workers and management.
Interested and qualified applicants should send a resume and salary expectations to:
Harpak-ULMA Packaging, LLC
175 John Quincy Adams Road
Taunton, MA 02780