Job Title: Field Service Engineer
Location: Remote – Washington/Oregon/California
Summary: The Field Service Engineer will use their mechanical/electrical education and background to troubleshoot and repair the most challenging technical issues. This support will consist of troubleshooting customer issues on-site and over the phone leveraging technology for remote support. FSE’s will also install various packaging equipment machines in order to support our customer base. For example, tray formers, tray sealers, fillers, dosers, form / fill/ seal equipment, case erecting, automatic loading, sleeving, cartoning, closing, flow wrap, shrink wrap, vertical and horizontal bagging, thermoforming machines. Once trained, there must be an ability and willingness to travel 70-85% of the time for technical support. Schedule needs to be flexible to accommodate customer needs.
This job requires that the applicant live in the posted State and provide notification of desired home base changes.
- Teamwork– Able to provide relevant thoughts on machine related issues or improvements and work through them with the group.
- Troubleshooting and Problem Solving– Able to troubleshoot advanced electrical or mechanical machine issues with limited supervision. Will reach out to more experienced Techs when needed and also provide technical guidance to others. Possesses a minimum of 5 years of experience in this skill set.
- Business Acumen– Has a solid understanding of Harpak-ULMA’s products and services and is able to promote the importance of preventative maintenance and maximizing machine efficiency.
- Customer Focus– Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Proactively works with customers in determining solutions. Provides Follow up assistance. Ability to work flexible shifts and to adapt to changing work schedules.
- Technical Skills– Has strong technical acumen the ability to learn concepts quickly; can develop new skills and knowledge; is good at learning company, product, or technical knowledge like Electrical, Mechanical and PLC. Ability to work with high precision and close tolerance proficiency. Able to work independently with little supervision. Proficient in standard and metric systems.
- Decision Making– Is able to reach out to other Engineers and Service Managers when not sure on a resolution. Strives to always make the best decision for the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- The Field Service Engineer will utilize their prior technical engineering education to work on mechanical, electrical, and controls issues on our packaging equipment and systems.
- The Field Service Engineer must be a self-starter and comfortable working with people in trouble-shooting and problem solving situations.
- The Field Service Engineer will be proficient in conducting detailed service and expense reports expected with our processes in a timely manner. Utilizes appropriate technology tools (hardware, software) to ensure efficiency of submittals.
- Must possess excellent communication and customer service skills. Must be team oriented, have a “Can Do” approach to all challenges and possess a strong commitment to quality.
- This Field Service Engineer role will consist of training provided via Online Learning Management System, on-site at our Taunton MA or Ball Ground, GA facility. You will also shadow other FSE’s/FST’s throughout the US for installation and repair service visits. Metrics of knowledge retention and ability will be evaluated in our onboarding process.
- Second level of training will be for them to lead the troubleshooting and installation service calls and be shadowed by a senior FSE’s/FST’s. They will be evaluated in each of these as to when they are qualified to conduct this service support solo.
- Associate will need to be adept in providing technical phone support and documenting calls and solutions in a detailed manner.
- Associate must follow all customer’s procedures and protocols on site visits.
- Harpak-ULMA Field Service Engineers are expected to be cross-trained and knowledgeable across all product lines sold, regardless of what product line they initiate with.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Accredited Engineering Degree required. A minimum of 5 years proven field service experience in troubleshooting mechanical/electrical issues desired. Prior industry-related experience would be a plus.
Must have familiarity with MS Office Suite and Windows platform. Must have the ability to utilize various service data bases and CRM’s (i.e., Filemaker)
Certificates and Licenses:
Current valid driver’s license and valid passport and/or the ability to obtain a passport for travel.
Provide technical guidance to other Field Service Technicians.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a combination of shop/warehouse environments. Exposure to fluctuating hot and cold temperatures. Exposure to warehouse elements such as noise, dust, odors, fumes, oils.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The ability to lift and/or move up to 75 lbs. Ability to sit for extended durations when traveling by car or airplane. Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, stoop, squat and move about a facility. Keen hearing and sight ability (close and distance vision) for detecting any abnormalities with the machines. Proper use of safety devices as required for the safe operation of all machinery, tools and equipment.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their resume to:
Harpak-ULMA is an equal employment opportunity employer.