Job Title: Electrical and Controls Specialist/ Engineer
Location: Taunton, MA
The associate will be responsible for modifying and programming automation and controls systems involving PLC’s, HMI’s, Servo drives and Network systems. Proven experience with programming to assist field service technicians with troubleshooting & device configuration of Rockwell, Proface, and Lenze equipment. On-site hands-on assistance at customer sites will be required.
Anticipated travel for this position should not exceed 60% on average for technical support. Schedule needs to be flexible to accommodate customer needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Associate will maintain and modify programs for various high-speed packaging equipment. Update electrical schematics using AutoCAD and adobe PDF. Provide up-to-date documentation of control systems to enable future modifications by Field Service Technicians.
- Associate will work with field service technicians via the telephone and remote computer access to trouble-shoot mechanical/electrical issues with various packaging equipment machines [e.g., tray sealers, fillers, dosers, form/fill/seal equipment, case erecting, automatic loading, sleeving, cartoning, closing, flow wrap, shrink wrap, vertical and horizontal thermoforming.] As needed, on-site hands-on customer assistance will be required.
- Associate will utilize his/her expertise with Rockwell, ProFace, Lenze, Ethernet, Devicenet, and PLC Programming to solve mechanical/electrical issues with customer machinery.
- Associate must be adept in working with others to resolve issues. He/she must be a self-starter and comfortable working with people in trouble-shooting and problem-solving situations. Project management skills will be required to manage large and multiple projects.
- Must provide excellent communication and customer service skills. Detailed documentation will be required on all work performed. Must be team oriented, have a “Can Do” approach to all challenges and possess a strong commitment to quality of service.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Associate must be capable of Rockwell (PLC, VFD, Servo, & PVP) and Lenze (Servo) programming and troubleshooting. Must be familiar with the NEC, NFPA 70E and the use of 2D AutoCad. Both electrical and mechanical knowledge is required in trouble-shooting problems. Must be able to learn and research new software/ hardware for implementation.
Experience with programming Lenze Servos, B&R Servos and PLCs, Omron PLCs and Robotics, Proface HMIs, and structured text (C language) a plus.
High school diploma or GED required. Technical schooling or equivalent training in electricity, electronics or equipment maintenance desired. A minimum of 5 years’ experience in field service or equipment maintenance in a related industry is preferred.
Excellent interpersonal skills required to effectively work with Company and Client personnel. Ability to read and interpret documents including mechanical blueprints and electrical schematics.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as package geometry, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
Ability to assess and define problems, interpret instruction and act accordingly.
Must have familiarity with MS Office Suite and Windows platform.
Certificates and Licenses:
Current valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain a passport for travel.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that an associate will encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a combination of office, factory and shop/warehouse environments. Exposure to fluctuating hot and cold temperatures. Exposure to warehouse elements such as noise, dust, odors, fumes, oils.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The ability to lift and/or move up to 75 lbs. Ability to sit for extended durations when traveling by car or airplane. Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, stoop, squat and move about a facility. Keen hearing and sight ability (close and distance vision) for detecting any abnormalities with the machines. Proper use of safety devices as required for the safe operation of all machinery, tools and equipment.
Harpak-ULMA Behavior Standard:
Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a respectful manner so that associates will work well with customers, clients, co-workers and management.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their resume to:
Harpak-ULMA is an equal employment opportunity employer.